Monday, May 22, 2006

Good English

I don't know about you but I am fed up with those who claim to know English but then are incapable of carrying on a conversation with a native speaker. Just the day before yesterday I asked a man who supposedly knows a great deal of English what his wife was like and he answered that she enjoyed going to the cinema. In no way was I going to correct him in front of his peers. Had we been alone, I would most likely have said something. It's no wonder so many job applicants are turned down because of poor language skills. Hardly anybody is truly fluent in English nowadays. It seems the more we invest in language studies the less we learn. Could it be that the business of learning has actually turned into a business? If that were the case then learning would indeed be bad for business.

No comments: